- Architecture: A.F. Modinos & S.A. Vrahimis / Kristian Christou / Praxis Designs
- Civil / Structural Engineering: A.F. Modinos & S.A. Vrahimis
- Electrical/Mechanical Engineering: GEMAC
- Client: Limassol Marina LTD
- Contractor: J&P – Athena – Cybarco – Marina Lemesou JV
- Budget: €6.5 million
- Stage: Completed in 2015
Tragasol was set up as a company in Limassol in the year 1894, during the British Colony in Cyprus, and represents an integral part in the industrial history of the city. The word ‘Τragasol’, is actually the scientific-chemical term describing a substance than can be found in carobs and has various industrial uses. It was around 1860, during the Ottoman rule in Cyprus, that carobs started being packaged and exported.
Carob processing equipment was installed at the southern part of the building whereas the northern part was for storage and processing purposes. Carobs were grinded, separating the seeds which were sent abroad to be used in the production of gum. Grinded carobs were used abroad to make animal feed, as well as for other purposes such as the making of confectionery. It would not be an exaggeration to suggest that Tragasol turned out be a ‘black gold mine’ for Limassol, offering employment to some 40-50 permanent staff, in addition to a number of students who were working there during their summer break, earning their pocket money.
Source: [Μ.Α. SOPHOCLEOUS Scientific Director of Pattichion Historical Archive Museum Research Centre] Photos: www.allaboutlimassol.com and private collection.
The Tragasol has been restored and used as a cultural center, hosting various events and activities. It is also used as a marine school since it is located next to the Limassol Marina and port harbour.